Thursday, July 21, 2011

An up close look at The Cartier Halo Tiara


In anticipation of Kate's dress going on display in just a few days, we are going to take an up close look at the Cartier Halo Tiara that Kate wore on her wedding day.


The queen loaned her gorgeous tiara to Kate on her wedding day. It was made by Cartier in 1936 inside their London workshop which is also known as “The English Art Works.” The tiara is made of platinum and the pretty wave-like shapes are described as ‘scroll’ or ‘palmette’ motifs.


The official description of the tiara given by Cartier is as follows "The tiara, featuring 739 brilliant-cut diamonds and 149 baguette-cut diamonds, was first purchased by His Royal Highness the Duke of York on November 18, 1936 for his wife a few weeks before he acceded to the throne of England after the abdication of his brother King Edward VIII. Highly fashionable in the 1930s, this head ornament appears to create a real halo of light, hence its name: the “Halo Tiara"


The tiara has been worn by Queen Elizabeth, Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Margaret (1960's), and Princess Anne (1970s).

Daily Mail/Cartier
Update 9/29/2011

Pictures of Royals wearing the Cartier Halo Tiara

The Queen Mother

Princess Margaret

Princess Anne

3 comments:

  1. The comment is that this tiara was worn by Queen Elizabeth II. Are there any photos to back this up? I just discovered your blog today. Very good !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment. Yes, I have a picture of Queen Elizabeth wearing the Halo Tiara. I will post it shortly under 'updates' on this page :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture I thought I had was actually Princess Margaret. I know I've seen one, I just can't place where. I'll keep looking :)

    ReplyDelete